The Montessori Way at Redwood Montessori Academy
At Redwood Montessori Academy, we use the Montessori method of education to teach our students strong academic skills, important personal skills, and valuable social skills. The Montessori method is a successful, proven teaching method. It was developed by Dr. Maria Montessori in the early 1900s and immediately captured world-wide attention. For over 100 years, the Montessori method of education continues to grow in popularity–because it works!
What is Montessori?
First, let’s state what it is NOT.
- Montessori is NOT a franchise or chain. In fact, Montessori is not even trademarked. However, it is carefully protected by international organizations that oversee teacher instruction and set school standards. The State of Maryland recognizes Montessori as a unique form of education; Maryland schools like ours must pass a “Montessori Validation” inspection to include the word “Montessori” in their name.
- An authentic Montessori classroom is NOT random. The curriculum is very specific, and teachers use precision and consistency to teach the lessons. Children learn to select appropriate work and advance to more complex activities as they build their skills and knowledge. This allows children to progress at their own pace, often going “above grade level” for their age.
- Montessori is NOT a religion. While Dr. Montessori was a staunch Catholic, her curriculum is universal and emphasizes respect and acceptance for all beliefs.
What Montessori IS:
- At Redwood Montessori Academy, Montessori IS a supportive and inspirational learning environment.
- The Montessori curriculum IS a multi-disciplinary program that emphasizes self-direction, exploration, and discovery to help children learn reading, writing, math, science, geography, history, and culture.
- Montessori IS a teaching philosophy that emphasizes personal development, self-control, concentration, confidence, and responsibility.
The Montessori method of education is popular because it works! It teaches children valuable skills that go beyond classroom academics.
At Redwood Montessori Academy, our students develop crucial executive function skills, such as flexible thinking, concentration, and planning. They learn to direct their own work and take responsibility for their actions. Our students understand community and their role in it.
At Redwood Montessori Academy, our mission is to empower children with academic, personal, and social skills they need for future success. The Montessori method of education is the tool we use to fulfill that mission!